New CD: Labyrinth

Monday 22 August 2011

Recording at Oaklands - Ian's thoughts

What an amazing experience! We'd rehearsed pretty hard but I really didn't know what was going to happen once the pressure to get it absolutely right hit. Our first track went down very well and from there confidence kicked in. Day one got the backing tracks down and we left feeling good.

Returning on day 2 for solos and other over dubs. My synth solo on Ten a Penny came up trumps on the first go but Don't You Every Say Goodbye was problematic. Tony was up in the control room coaching like Laurie Lawrence and after a time, well a few times (like 10) we got there.

Playing a nice grand piano in a beautiful studio - you can't beat that!

Backing vocals - the less said the better for me. All my life I believed I couldn't sing. Yep, I was right. Just keys from me.

My gear for the recording was a Yamaha 7' grand from the studio, my lovely red Korg Vintage for the electric piano, an awesome Roland vintage organ (VR-760) and my Roland Gaia for synths. Boys and their toys.

I can't wait for the next time.

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment